Welcome,Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Goat with lump in udder

Goat with lump in udder 5 years 3 weeks ago #205083

• Ggang
  • Woodland
  • Thank you received: 18
My doe Hope has a large lump right up high in her udder. Its nearly as big as a tennis ball and sticks out at the back.

She is not at all sick ,eating normally, giving the usual milk quantity
and the milk looks and smells normal.

We took her to the vet yesterday - he doesnt seem to know much about
goats but he is all that is available .

He sent off milk samples but even he doubts its mastitis. Gave her a
course of Amoxycillan just in case - didnt really answer when
I aked what do we do after the tests come back negative ...........dont
think he knows !

He did say he thought it may be in the lymph gland

So any ideas what it could be ? I fear it may be a tumour but it did
come up quickly so hopefully not

G (Anne )
the more I see of people the more I appreciate my goats
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 3 weeks ago #205173

• Ggang
  • Woodland
I will give this a bump because we are really lost for ideas of what is going on :(

thanks
Anne and Hope

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 3 weeks ago #205183

It's not a grass seed is it Ggang. I have one of my doggies going in to the vets this morning as I noticed a huge lump in his chest yesterday. It came up really fast,a matter of days and when I gave it a small clip I could see the hole where the seed had worked itself in. Just a thought.
gardening without fear means taking risks that saner heads would never contemplate.

Paula

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 3 weeks ago #205205

• Gianna
  • Old Growth Forest
  • Thank you received: 39
Is it always the size of a tennis ball or does it go down after milking?

The tears happen:
Endure, grieve, and move on.
The only person who is with us our entire life, is ourselves.

Gianna’s...

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 3 weeks ago #205320

• Ggang
  • Woodland
Hi Ringrosy usually mastitis does make the goat sick but my goat books says there is also a type of sub clinical mastitis which doesnt make them sick ........ still waiting for the test results

Thanks for your suggestion Paula I read your post as I rushed out this morning but didnt have time to reply - this afternoon we had a really good look but cant see any sign that it may be a grass seed but it was a good idea :D

Hi Gianna it was staying about the same size but over today it is slightly bigger and firmer

However fortunately she is not at all sick - so we will finish the course of antibiotics ( which I dont think are helping ) then Monday maybe try and take her to another vet

regards
Anne and Hope

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 2 weeks ago #205526

• FeyWind
  • Sapling
  • Thank you received: 1
Ggang - do goats get cysts like humans - I've had a cyst in my breast before. These can be filled with milk or saline and be totally benign. Before worrying too much I'd suggest seeing if the vet can stick a needle in and find whether it is solid or liquid.

I know that most lumps in young women's breasts are cysts, not tumours or cancers. Hopefully it will be a cyst and draining it will be the end of it :tup:

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 2 weeks ago #205544

• bdm6125
  • Tree
  • Thank you received: 3
Had a look through my goat books and dont seem to come up with anything that seems to describe your poor doe.
Ring the lady from the WA dairy goat association, she should be able to help or at least put you onto a good vet!
Brigitte
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 2 weeks ago #205547

• Tullymoor
  • Old Growth Forest
Hi Anne, PM lovemygirls too, she isn't on often and might miss your post :D

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 2 weeks ago #205593

• maggie
  • Seedling
  • Thank you received: 2
One of our goats has had a hard lump in her udder for several years now. It is about the size of a table-tennis ball. Maybe slightly larger. It doesn't seem to worry her at all and she has never been unwell. Her milk production has never altered, and she has been milked every day for the past 5 years. She's a maiden milker.
You don't mention how old the goat is, but I would be very much guided by the fact that the goat is well in herself, continuing to milk well and the milk tastes fine.
Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads. (Thoreau)

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 2 weeks ago #205602

• Ggang
  • Woodland
Thanks everyone

Fey Wind I definately think a biopsy needs to be the next step. I dont know if goats gt breast cysts but somone on the goat list thought it may be a blocked milk duct.

Brigitte thanks for looking at your books :D I have scoured both Pat Colebys book and Mackenzie but as you say nothing seems to fit :tdown: The lady from DGSWA that I think you are refering to (JR) is very sick so I dont like to bother her or her husband :(

Tully that is an excellent idea ! I went straight to do it but her name doesnt come up on the search or members :( what am I doing wrong ? or has she changed her name ?

maggie that is very interesting and reassuring :tup: my doe is 5 and a half - she has only kidded once as a 2yo and has milked every since. Wondering if it could be something to do with milking a long time as I now remember you saying about your 2 maiden milkers :geek: As I said above a blocked milk duct has been sugested and we are trying massage.

regards
Anne and Hope ( not that Hope is worried at all :lol: she just want the pesky humans to stop molesting her udder ! )

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 2 weeks ago #205624

• Lady B
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 87
Anne,

User name is "love my girls" here: http://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/profile.php?lookup=2702

B

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 2 weeks ago #205756

Hi Anne,
Unfortunately I'm not certain myself, but have copied your problem and emailed it to some looooooong standing goat keepers.
Hopefully they will get back to me soon and then I can pass it on.
:hug: for you and Hope.

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 2 weeks ago #205828

• Ggang
  • Woodland
Thanks Lady B :shy: dumb me tried it all one word never thought to insert spaces !!!

Thanks VERY much LMY I will be anxiously waiting to hear what they say ! someone on the goat list this morning mentioned CL (caseous lymphadenitis) and now I am very worried - I googled and found a pic that looked just like it but then cant imagine how she coud have got it as our block is virgin bush and our goats have had no contact with other goats .........

and thanks maybe to the person who alerted LMG to the post while I was still trying to sort out how ;)

regards
Anne and Hope

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 2 weeks ago #205921

Hi Anne,
Have had a few replies to feelers sent out.
Below are the replies.

I had this on one of my brown does. I had no idea of what it was, soooo I lanced it and it was cheesy gland. I cleaned it out with saline water and keep it draining for a week and it cleared up fine.
I think #### actually told me afterwards that they can get it high on udders.
My goats are all vaccinated 3 in 1 but sometimes they can still get it. The most common one is the under ear back of jaw one. But there are glands all over the body.
Some say to leave them until the hair falls off then lance them. But whenever they break the gunk is spread around the paddocks for others goats to pick it up.

A lady in NSW took her goat to the vet with an unknown lump in the neck, he put it on antibiotics which does slow it down but does not cure it. The lump did not burst and the stuff spread to other glands and the goat died.

I prefer to get the gunk out before it can cause any other problems.
I lanced a big squishy jaw lump for a guy and it was full of water type stuff. I think it was maybe grass seed agrivated. It healed up fine.

Is this doe CAE tested? could be the beginning of hard udder if she is not???

The only other thing I can think of is the possibility of an insect bite which she has reacted to. This could cause swelling but one would think there is some redness and heat involved with that.

Hope she gets better.
I have seen a lump that sounds like this doe's, it was caused by the doe having been in a fight and she got butted in the udder. They massaged the lump with Vick's chestrub to get heat into the tissue and after a while it burst and then cleaned up fine. Would she be able to send a photo of the lump?

So, I hope this info is of use to you. Also hope it's nothing serious.
If you would like to send a pic, that would be great.
You can email me directly at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it if you like.
Best wishes
Donna

RE: Goat with lump in udder 5 years 2 weeks ago #205937

• Tullymoor
  • Old Growth Forest
Good on you Donna, you're a gem :hug:
  • Page:

Active Groups

Upcoming Events

pcp_button

GrowVegAffiliateAdvert120x60