Welcome,Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chook conjunctivitis

Chook conjunctivitis 3 years 11 months ago #273560

One of my chickens seems to have developed conjunctivitis. Does anyone have any experience/suggestions in treating this?

Thanks, Mel
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE: Chook conjunctivitis 3 years 11 months ago #273562

• jennifer g
  • Woodland
  • Thank you received: 4
Oh NO! never seen that before. I wonder would washing the eye area with salty water be ok????

Jen

RE: Chook conjunctivitis 3 years 11 months ago #273570

• Kirsty
  • Old Growth Forest
  • Thank you received: 1
Hmmm I haven't seen this either I imagine salt water would be the best idea:shrug: I hope someone else might know?

RE: Chook conjunctivitis 3 years 11 months ago #273571

• Humbug
  • Hummer
  • Thank you received: 139
I haven't heard of this before either, but salt water works for us humans :tup:
"People are not disturbed by things, but by the view they take of things."
The philosopher Epictetus(AD55-135)

RE: Chook conjunctivitis 3 years 11 months ago #273580

• roogz
  • Tree
  • Thank you received: 7
chooks often get rCRD espirtory tract infections - because the sinus is linked with tthe tear duct in poulty - the infection often gets into 1 eye sometimes both

signs are a chessy substance, or bubbles, the nostrills will also run and the chook will often have raspy breathing.

if this sounds like what you have isolate the sick chook immediatley - it is highly infectous.
clean out all the beeding from the hen haouse scub out the food and water containers.

to treat the sick chook place in a warm quite place, bath the eye in salt water and try to remove any discarge to keep the eye and nostril clen - try to keep the chooks appetite up - if the stop eating its hard to get them to start again - a bit of cat foor often helps - and heaps of fresh grren feed.

respo can be either viral or bacterial, to see more infor go to this page. forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewforum.php?f=5
Its paticularly bad this time of year - Bottom end of vic - the autumn is still reasonably warm and the rain keeps the ground maoist allowing the bacteria to survive for longer periods of time - same deal with cocsi.

Cheers
Roogz

RE: Chook conjunctivitis 3 years 11 months ago #273914

Roogz, that sounds like exactly what it is. I have been wiping her eyes with salt water, giving her cat food with garlic, vitamin c and probiotic. Hopefully she'll start to come good soon.

Thanks, Mel

RE: Chook conjunctivitis 3 years 11 months ago #273934

• Gianna
  • Old Growth Forest
  • Thank you received: 39
If you have Colloidal Silver there, that is brilliant for eye infections and you can give the chook some to drink as well. All the best.

The tears happen:
Endure, grieve, and move on.
The only person who is with us our entire life, is ourselves.

Gianna’s...

RE: Chook conjunctivitis 3 years 11 months ago #274292

• roogz
  • Tree
  • Thank you received: 7
HI Mel - Lots of it going around its especially active late spring and autumn - Keep up the feed and eye cleaning and she should be back to normal with 10-14 days. its rarely fatal if found early enough - (though some strains can be devistating)
But keep an eye on the others - and clean out the chook pen to stop it spreading. The bacetria especially loves the damp semmy warm conditions of the chook house.

Roogz

RE: Chook conjunctivitis 3 years 11 months ago #274530

I don't have colloidal silver, but she seems to be a little better. Thanks for your advice Roogz. This poor chook has suffered from one thing after another after she was treated with Avitrol - I wonder if it knocked her around too much. The other chooks have been completely OK.
  • Page:

Active Groups

Upcoming Events

pcp_button

GrowVegAffiliateAdvert120x60