Welcome,Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What to do with pawpaw

What to do with pawpaw 7 years 9 months ago #14398

Hi all

I have a continuous supply of pawpaw but only my 9mth old eats it!! My freezer is steadily filling and I was wondering if there are some recipes like jam or jelly that I could make up and give to rellies and friends as no one seems to know what to do other than put it into fruit salad

kind regards
debb
Living on a little patch of heaven, blessed with 4 beautiful children and doing the best that I can.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE: What to do with pawpaw 7 years 9 months ago #14406

• bella
  • Woodland
Hi Debbie! As per my email (but posted here for others to use)

I have a couple of recipes...

Pawpaw Jam
2 cups diced pawpaw
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup fresh lime (or lemon) juice

Boil briskly, stirring only until sugar is dissolved. Bottle and seal when
set.
Also - soak a few dried apricots in lime (or lemon) juice and substitute
them for some of the paw paw and it tastes like apricot jam.
Neither of these set really firm for me, but tasted nice and kept well (in
fridge). You could add Jamsetta (pectin) from the supermarket (near the vanilla essence etc) to get a firmer result. Or more lemon, especially nice ripe ones.

Pawpaw and Ginger Jam (haven't tried)
750g firm pawpaw, skinned and seeded
100g preserved ginger
1/2 cup lemon juice
500g sugar

Put the pawpaw and lemon juice in a pan. Simmer until tender. Add the
sugar, sritting until it is dissolved. Add the ginger and boil rapidly until setting test is reached. Bottle and seal.

I got these 2 recipes from Windfalls by Sue Ruchel. It's a great one.

There are tons of recipes online for using up pawpaw - like: http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/pawpaw/recipes.htm

Home growing kids, chooks and other delights on the tropical tablelands.

RE: What to do with pawpaw 7 years 9 months ago #14575

Tammi made the first recipe today, I do no like pawpaw I mean I REALLY DON'T LIKE pawpaw and I couldn't leave this jam alone!!!!

TJ put the juice of half a lemon on top of the recipe to try and help it set a bit better and it worked perfectly. She let it boil a little while till we could see that it was really turning 'jammy'

So good she has decided to put a jar in the show next week!!

I have a recipe for Tomato Jam, yes tomato, that we are going to try when we see them cheap. Also manderin jam and a lemon jam later this week. We have rellies coming up from the Sunshine Coast this weekend and we will be sending some back with them

I am making the jam to ease my load of pawpaw and today when we gave away a jar of pawpaw jam we received a huge pawpaw as payment! Got to love a generous heart of another:D

Debb
Living on a little patch of heaven, blessed with 4 beautiful children and doing the best that I can.

RE: What to do with pawpaw 7 years 9 months ago #14584

• bella
  • Woodland
Debb,
Did you use fresh or frozen pawpaw? I have only used fresh, and was wondering of uses for my frozen supply other than smoothies.

And were they yellow or red pawpaws?

If you know someone with a dehydrator you can borrow, it's nice dried (doesn't taste like paw paw) it's the little red cubes you sometimes see in mixed tropical dried fruit or museli etc.

Yeah for Tammi and the lemon juice solution! I will give this another go now.

I've made rosella jam and cumquat marmalade this month. I am going to have a go at one of the choko jam recipes soon (it'll taste either lemon-y or ginger-y depending on which one!). I make mango jam in summer and will have a go at most things. It makes the perfect gift, I love jam making.

Yay for TJ!
Home growing kids, chooks and other delights on the tropical tablelands.

RE: What to do with pawpaw 7 years 9 months ago #14609

Hi Bel

They were fresh yellow ones, I haven't tried the frozen ones. I did own a dehydrater but would you believe that I sold it for $20 and only used it twice :o

I didn't realise what a great thing I had I guess, I dare not ask David for another one!!! I have a great big old juicer in the cupboard as well that I really should use instead of buying juice when I go shopping:o

I have only made strawberry and apricot jam before as we don't grow anything I have to buy it all, I get the pawpaw and manderines from Vicky next door. My Aunt has Rosella growing but not much, I wonder if she will trade some for some of Tammi's jam as she loves pawpaw?

I should really make an effort and try to grow some of our own vegies etc but after my last attempt, big effort, big expense, big fat pregnant belly, big fat failure:(

Catch up soon
Deb

RE: What to do with pawpaw 7 years 8 months ago #18252

Deb, heres another couple of uses. Frozen & thawed pawpaw substitutes really well for pumpkin in scones. Also lots of Northern people make mango chutney from underripe pawpaw. Differcult to tell difference. I used to hate smell of it but have overcome that since we grew our own. A yummy fresh way is either icecream over it, or condensed milk,generously drizzled. Is also excellent massaged into your skin. The ideal thing is to eat half for breaky, & rub the fleshy skin all over your face. also is the best meat tenderiser.Mash & coat steak before cooking.
From little things, big things grow!----Paul Kelly

RE: What to do with pawpaw 7 years 8 months ago #18258

• forest
  • Old Growth Forest
  • Thank you received: 1
The seeds of paw paw are good in a marinade for meat as the seeds tenderise it.
The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it.
John Ruskin.

RE: What to do with pawpaw 7 years 8 months ago #18275

• bushy
  • Woodland
  • Thank you received: 50
green pawpaw can be used as a vegetable, whilst still firm and green, cut into chunks and steam with vegies (or boil) and it is just like zuccini, we use it in stews and soups as well.
If you think you can
If you think you can't
either will be true.
Henry Ford

RE: What to do with pawpaw 7 years 8 months ago #18289

• forest
  • Old Growth Forest
  • Thank you received: 1
there's a nice Vietnamese salad with green paw paw:

1 small green paw paw
1 small mild chilli
¼ bunch coriander
¼ bunch Thai basil
¼ bunch mint
2 dessertspoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
40g roasted peanuts
A drizzle of sweet soya sauce
sea salt
4 lime leaves

Method:
Cut the paw paw, lime leaves and chilli into very fine julienne, add herbs, fish sauce, sesame oil and lime leaves together in a bowl and mix to taste.

To serve: Place the salad in the middle of the plate, drizzle sweet soy around the plate and garnish with coriander.

It's good served with fish or chicken.
The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it.
John Ruskin.

RE: What to do with pawpaw 7 years 8 months ago #18327

I would go the pawpaw chutney...mmmmmm...here is one site that has a recipe but there are dozens around if you look. I chutney EVERYTHING as we eat more chutney (in stir fires as well) than we would jam.

www.abc.net.au/brisbane/stories/s270170.htm
Reduce Greenhouse gases (get the cow out of the greenhouse)

RE: What to do with pawpaw 7 years 7 months ago #22675

Would paw paw chutney be good with curry I wonder, to replace mango chutney? Bel knows I hate both but I'm contemplating making this at some point as now living in the tropics I think I'm going to have to get used to tropical fruits!
Deborah
The Novice

Student of environmental science - heaven :D

• Page:

Active Groups

Upcoming Events

pcp_button

GrowVegAffiliateAdvert120x60