Welcome,Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best way to poison kangaroos?

Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285549

• Wazza
  • Woodland
  • Thank you received: 30
I was manning a Landcare stall this morning and signed up lots of lovely people wanting to make their properties more wildlife-friendly and sustainable. We were just closing up when a landholder came along and asked, "what's the best way to poison kangaroos?" It wasn't a wind-up. He was a nice guy with a lovely wife and two cute little daughters in tow. He loved wildlife, or so he said, but just wanted a humane way to poison kangaroos so they wouldn't suffer. We aren't overrun with kangaroos here, so I sometimes wonder what it's all about and why the hell I bother. Sorry.... my vent for the day.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285551

• Sprite
  • Tree
  • Thank you received: 3
if you see him again point out (gently) that it is illegal to kill any Australian wildlife without a permit. If he has a genuine roo problem he can apply to National Parks and Wildlife Service (or equivalent in your state) for some tag tails and then he can hire a professional roo shooter to shoot them safely. The tags have to stay on the carcasses and yes, officers do turn up unexpectedly on your property to check.

If he is in an area zoned residential or rural residential he probably won't be permitted to use a roo shooter.
sprite :)

its the little things that make life special

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285556

• Wazza
  • Woodland
I agree with you Sprite, but it is hard sometimes. I love the big eagles that cruise our sky. I see them soaring, using the thermals and diving with pin point accuracy on a rabbit. But then, when one carried off one of our kid goats and to hear it screaming in terror.... I'd have blown it out of the sky without mercy. Fortunately for the eagle, I follow the gun laws - weapon secured in one locked cabinet, ammo in another. By the time you've got it together, it's too late. But when I calm down and get over the emotional distress, I remember that the eagles have been here for thousands of years and a kid goat is just food for them and their young. However, it's hard when you've cuddled the little creature the eagle's made off with.

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285560

• Judi B
  • Old Growth Forest
  • Thank you received: 97
We even had an eagle try to take our pet galah cage and all:jawdrop:
Humans are good at breeding, annoying and destroying

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285561

• shadowdancer
  • Woodland
  • Thank you received: 14
yes, but this is a Kangaroo, that eats grasses! This bloke must be a little silly to think that poison doesn't hurt? :jawdrop:

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285562

• Wazza
  • Woodland
Judi, we lost a pet Chihuahua dog the same way. One of the granddaughters took him downstairs for a pee. One minute he was there, the next he was gone - up in the sky in an eagles talons. Bye, bye Benji. She cried inconsolably all night. The poor little bugger was about the size of a rat and just 1.2 kg. A tempting target.

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285567

• caddie
  • Sapling
  • Thank you received: 8
I like eagles BUT all frienship ceased when it was homing in, talons extended, on our 2yr old daughter

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285568

• lavman
  • Sapling
  • Thank you received: 20
Well at least he was honest about his intentions and it sounds like he hasn't done anything yet so there is hope, he must have a real roo problem for him to be thinking that way and that's the only option he can see.

There are days when I think I am banging my head against the wall and I wonder why I bother trying to grow crops, if it's not kangaroos it's crows or wood ducks eating the crops as they emerge, our latest threat is white cockatoos.

Rumour has it that there is a local "wildlife carer" that has a pet cockatoo which has called others into the valley and to make matters worse the "carers" are leaving feed out for what has become a very destructive flock of birds that now won't leave the area.

Some-one needs to stay on the farm all the time or there won't be any fruit left on the trees, too many trees and too expensive to net.

So if that fellow is having half the trouble we're having, I can fully understand his thinking, but it won't fix the problem, more will come.

Like you Wazza.........that's my vent for the day :|

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285570

• Gianna
  • Old Growth Forest
  • Thank you received: 39
caddie wrote:
I like eagles BUT all frienship ceased when it was homing in, talons extended, on our 2yr old daughter

:jawdrop:

The tears happen:
Endure, grieve, and move on.
The only person who is with us our entire life, is ourselves.

Gianna’s...

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285632

• karyn26
  • Woodland
  • Thank you received: 43
An elderly man in the town over from us lives across the road from the bidgee and he had trouble with cockatoos eating his green tomatoes, he put up big blue plastic bags apparently they dont like the colour!!
Dont know if it worked as I never saw him again.Might be worth a try though.

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285642

• lavman
  • Sapling
  • Thank you received: 20
Thanks Karyn I will give it a go, have a few neighbours that would also be interested if it works.

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285648

• mistyhollows
  • Woodland
  • Thank you received: 66
Hey Karyn that would explain why the cockies suddenly are leaving my veg garden alone! I was putting some of hubbys old blue workshirts over some plants for frost protection and then hanging them up on stakes during the day to dry by a sleeve which meant they flap around a fair bit in the wind. I forgot all about them for a while then realised the cockies hadn't been in for a while :lol:. I also use flash tape tied up into a pom pom type thing and hang it from the netting though as it doesn't reach to the ground and the cockies would get under the netting :@. It's worth a try!

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285671

• flicker
  • Tender shoot
I dont know about poison but an old chap told me in the sixties that if you sprinkle blood and bone around your garden perimeter they won't go near it, however I've never tried it.
regards flicker.
water dripping night and day wears the mighty stone away.

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285673

• Greth
  • Woodland
  • Thank you received: 12
We had roo problems earlier, they were eating fruit trees and roses especially. Now the ornamental garden is fenced on three sides, the fourth side has a retaining wall, and although they still do come in, they are much more reluctant to do so and haven't eaten anything that I know of lately.
I have heard they are very reluctant to try anything strange tasting, all my scented plants must be very weird for kangaroos which have only had native vegetation until we came.
Both shadehouses, the ornamental garden and the veg garden are all open to any wildlife with a taste for something, but none are bothered at all now. I did have major problems with possums in shadehouse 1, but since the offender is gone it is not possum territory any more, and although they are around they don't come in.
Here is a test to find whether your mission in life is finished:
If you are alive, it isn't.

RE: Best way to poison kangaroos? 3 years 8 months ago #285823

• karyn26
  • Woodland
  • Thank you received: 43
Hope it works for you and your neighbours Lavman,I drove past the mans place yesterday and I noticed he doesnt grow tomatoes anymore though I think it's more to do with his age than the birds as he wasnt very young when I saw him years ago.

Good one mistyhollows stumbling on a good deterant :lol:
Good to know the blue actually works.
  • Page:

Active Groups

Upcoming Events

pcp_button

GrowVegAffiliateAdvert120x60