Welcome,Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Television and the simple life

Re: Television and the simple life 2 years 1 month ago #338600

• Judi B
  • Old Growth Forest
  • Thank you received: 97
We can finally watch the news :clap::clap: I also like to watch the gardening shows and documentaries.
So far so good with the satellite .... so many channels so much news :laugh:
I would be lost here without the TV when I can't sleep which is always lately I'll get up and watch TV and do some crochet at the same time.
Humans are good at breeding, annoying and destroying
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Television and the simple life 2 years 1 month ago #338607

• kerrieb
  • Old Growth Forest
  • Thank you received: 39
Hmm TV our kids watch it a bit but when they have a media ban (punishment) for a week or month they don't miss it much just find other things to do. I find it doesn't get watched much over summer but in the winter when it is dreary wet and dark outside it gets used more.

My DD used to have a fit if we made her sit more than a metre from the TV. We felt really bad about that when she failed her 3 yo eye health screen. Uncorrected she couldn't see the eye chart and even with glasses she has a moderate vision impairment. Sitting close to the TV and holding books close to her nose was the only indication there was a major problem. If you have a young kid persistently sitting very close to the screen I'd get their vision checked.

With the large new flat screen (bought after our 20yo TV died) she can now sit 2m from the TV on the couch to watch it, rather than on a cushion on the floor a metre from the TV.

Re: Television and the simple life 2 years 1 month ago #338618

• Nature Girl
  • Tender shoot
  • Thank you received: 1
I used to be a tv addict even thought I would have kicked and screamed and denied it and thought anyone who told me I was was being ridiculous, after all just about everyone does the same thing right?????. Just about every night I'd put the tv on and either just have it going in the background or be watching it and it was on from about 5.30pm for the news till when I went to bed and strangely if I had it off the house just felt weird and lonely. And if I couldn't sleep ...tv was turned on, although usually I'd pop a dvd.

Well..... when analogue got turned off here so did my tv! I bought a set top box but the reception was painful. I can now honestly say that no tv it is the best thing that ever happened! I've been tv free now since the start of December and I just hate tv now, if it's on at a friends place or somewhere I'm waiting I think jeez what is this rubbish, even the news hardly seems like news, most of it certainly isn't stuff that is pertinent to my life or that I need to be aware of, and it's all just such repetition.

If I feel like watching something funny or interesting I usually just go to abc ivew or sbs on demand now and get my fix but I find that I don't even really feel like doing most of the time.

It just baffles me to think I willingly used to watch as much tv as I did.

Re: Television and the simple life 2 years 1 month ago #338650

:wave:
I do think tv does encourage consummerism especially in children. While i do have mulitple tvs, I prefer it to watch movies/dvd, news/current affairs and and the occasional rubbish. These days i no longer leave the tv on constantly only turning it on to watch something in particular . I cant beleive how much time it frees up and how much more active we are now. As a family we do more together, talk more its the best change we have made.

Re: Television and the simple life 2 years 1 month ago #338696

• mumof6
  • Sapling
  • Thank you received: 8
We have a lcd TV but we get no tv reception the only way we would was if we got satalite (free for us under the digital garentee except dish) but we dont watch it the kids are out side or doing home work or reading a book, occasionly they use the TV to watch a dvd usally based on a book that they have read, my DD12 has almost finished reading the leadgends of the gardians books (15 novals) that she has been requesting in from the local libary now she wishes to watch the movie as this months movie night but DS15 has just finished tomorow when the war begain (7 novels) and requested its movie insteat

Re: Television and the simple life 2 years 1 month ago #338752

• dianne
  • Old Growth Forest
  • Thank you received: 30
:clap: congrates to your DD, as I know those books and that is a lot of reading :tup:

we were very addicted to the box but since school has started I put my foot down and said no tv so homework could be done, that went ok and then the kids went off to play :jawdrop: so it just stayed off, all night :jawdrop::jawdrop: so now if its just me and the kids the tv dosnt come on, except when DH is home. Now I find I am having trouble with all the extra noise when the tv is on.
What is right for one soul may not be right for another. It may mean having to stand on your own and do something strange in the eyes of others. But do not be daunted. Do whatever it is because you...

Re: Television and the simple life 1 year 9 months ago #344962

• threedogs
  • Tender shoot
  • Thank you received: 5
This is really interesting for me as just a few weeks ago our TV viewing habits completely changed! I had found that TV was increasingly annoying me and making me irritable. Hubby and son would turn it on as soon as they were home and it would just blare away in the background non-stop. We have had Austar for years and had watched that exclusively for the last 10 yrs and I enjoyed documentaries from time to time. Then just recently, when hubby went away for a few days, I just didn't turn it on! And several weeks later our TV viewing is about 1 hour a week! I read the news online - its great you don't have to listen to all the pollies whining away..... As soon as the series we are interested in has finished (about 3 weeks to go) I am disconnecting Austar and I doubt the tellie will go on very often at all. The amazing thing, is that my 20yr old son doesn't even care. Hubby isn't fussed either (why didn't we do this ages ago :angry: ), we read a lot or browse our favourite sites and forums online. The house is so peaceful!
And soon we will be saving all that money from pay TV! YAY!

Re: Television and the simple life 1 year 9 months ago #344993

• Snags
  • Tree
  • Thank you received: 88
I record a lot of shows and skip through them to the good bits when I have nothing better to do,my editing is so much better than most TV producers,I can turn a 1 hour show into a 10 minute highlights reel.

Re: Television and the simple life 1 year 9 months ago #344998

• penny
  • Tree
  • Thank you received: 31
We find that we watch very little TV. Both of us are readers and I can't stand commercials. When we are at the property we don't miss it at all. We refuse to have fox tell and I think kids need other things to do. The computer age is great, take ALS for example but most TV ect. Is aimed at about an 11 year old level of comprehension. As long as we use all media and electronic communication as a tool and not as substitute for living and doing we should be fine.
We do not own the earth we are its guardians who hold it in trust for future generations

Re: Television and the simple life 1 year 9 months ago #345336

• Miaowzen
  • Sapling
  • Thank you received: 18
DH and I haven't had a TV since we were in our early twenties (now in our thirties). I read and he plays computer games. To be honest I did get upset with all the computer games for a while, but he likes them :shrug: He uses headphones as I like peace. Neither of us miss TV.

Re: Television and the simple life 1 year 9 months ago #345348

• Andre
  • 8^ /
  • Thank you received: 103
As with others, my TV habits have changed somewhat over the last couple of years or so.

If I'm watching telly, it's ABC 2 hours News or nothing.. (and I used to love Channel 7 Sunrise :jawdrop: .. now I can't stand it, so much crap and hype - no doubt channel 9 is the same and was never a channel 10 fan).
(safer for me not to speculate on DD and DW TV habits).

When I'm not on my macbook, I tend to use the telly mainly for dvds now, and now that they both have them, DD &DW are glued to their ipads. (we are a Mac family :blink: )

Lately, living in an apartment (in winter), there is less of a reason to do anything outside other than the occasional walk/bike-ride. I dare say, when I get to build the house in Clunes, habits will change again and I'll be too busy to even think about TV. :tup:
(not sure what the TV reception is like out that way :shrug: )

The only thing that won't change is music. I've not got a musical bone in my body, but I do have music always going on, whether on the macbook or iphone when I'm out) :P
"Some times I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."

"Time is Nature's way of preventing everything happening at once"...
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Andre.

Active Groups

Upcoming Events

No events found.

pcp_button

GrowVegAffiliateAdvert120x60