Welcome,Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: pumpkins picked too early

pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266665

Hi all,

Hubby had a working bee in the yard yesterday - unsupervised - and he has moved the pumpkin vines into 'neat' piles. End result is that 5 of the developing fruit where torn off at the stem.

None of them where ready to pick but where at varying stages of nearly ready. They are a mixed bag of butternut, jap, qld blue and ??

Is there any way that I can store them or will I have to give some of them away. Will they be any good? Don't want to give them away if they are all lousy. Can't test them as they are all different. We could use a couple but not all of them if they don't store.

Not sure what to do when a messy gardener and a 'neat freak' live together. This year I have also lost a zucchini that strayed out of the bed and some plants that were 'weeds all wrapped around the fence' (nope I think espaliered plants would be a better description!). Oh dear. Hope you can all give me hope re the pumpkins and have a little laugh at my expense.

Rebecca
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266681

• osakasuz
  • Thank you received: 3
I have often done the same thing myself! Pumpkin vines make me itch, so I move them and sometimes break bits off.

Pumpkin flesh freezes well for later use in soups and things. Only way to see if they are any good is to open one up and have a try. If they are whole, you can store them inside for a little while - leave them on a bench where you can keep an eye on them. I often use immature pumpkin in curries....
Suz

Laissez les bon temps rouler... je suis vivant! - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

A great club: Brisbane Organic Growers
A great school: Pine Community School
Two great businesses: Santos Organic Foods;...

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266685

• mumof6
  • Sapling
  • Thank you received: 8
pumpkin chuntey with curry instead of mustard then you have a base for quick meals in winter fry up some mixed veg add some brown lentals or chick peas and then half a jar of curry punpkin chutney is quite yum. I make this with all the immature pumpkins that dont quite rippen in time before the first frost. I will pull out my recipie and add to that section.

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266687

• porgey
  • Old Growth Forest
  • Thank you received: 109
Rebecca, I would take (not so) DH outside and use him for target practice with the pumpkins. Probably no help but its fun.
Walking lightly with a smile.

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266705

• Lady B
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 87
Give him pumpkin every meal until they're used up. :mad:

Make batches of pumpkin soup and freeze for those cold winter days when you want a nice hot lunch.

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266740

• bluezbandit
  • Woodland
  • Thank you received: 53
Uncooked pumpkin goes spongy when frozen. I bake it by the bulk load and freeze for soups.

Yum

Deb

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266744

• zygo
  • Tender shoot
  • Thank you received: 2
Just don't do what I did - put the poor little pumpkins out beside the shed.......the pups ate them!!!! :uhoh:

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266745

Ok so they won't store as is? Oh well no real harm done, I've decided to keep him (hubby).

Hadn't occured to me to store it in food, not sure why as I do this with lots of other things.

I do a pumpkin fruit cake that will use up one. Other ideas above sound good too. Tomorrow will be the great pumpkin cook up...

Thanks

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266746

• Lady B
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 87
Pumpkin and spinach curry. YUMMMMMM

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266776

• busylizzie
  • Old Growth Forest
  • BL
  • Thank you received: 82
I know how you feel Rebecca. We wont have a good harvest of Pumpkins this year, as DH mowed over all the vines that were growing over the border of the garden, not realising that the female flowers are on the ends. :@ DH is abit of a neat freak as well, (but at times can be really messy :confused: )Im slowing learning to live with it.

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266782

• Bel
  • Old Growth Forest
  • Thank you received: 147
Rebecca - they might store whole if they were ripe when picked. Is there any stem left at all? If there is at least a little bit of stem, you could leave them outside somwhere sheltered to 'harden off', then store in your pantry or garage or something like that. It'll only work if they're ripe and have some stem left on though. You can try rubbing a thin film of vegetable/olive oil around the stem to create an air-proof layer then storing them on their side. I've stored whole pumpkins for over a year in our garage without too many troubles. Some were picked before the vine died off - I just made sure they were 'orangey' ripe and that I left a decent amount of stem on them....

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266814

• bluezbandit
  • Woodland
  • Thank you received: 53
If the stem falls off, candle wax dripped over the spot where it was, will seal it admirably! Although I always use those first.

Deb

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266835

• FeyWind
  • Sapling
  • Thank you received: 1
I've actually been finding that the trimmed pumpkin vine does better. Where I snip off ends, two new shoots emerge from the vine (pumpkin vines are the inspiration for the mythical hydra :lol: ) and one gets a female flower. The others never have female flowers. That is working on my butternut this year.

My delicata is a different question. It had all male flowers at first, and now has all female flowers. :shrug: Don't know what its problem is.:shrug:

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266877

Feywind,

I don't think there is a problem. This is normal behaviour in the older varieties of Cucumbers. Being a cucurbit also, I'm tipping that it's the same for pumpkins. From memory, it's determined by length of daylight hours.

Cheers
Chris
We're working toward self sufficiency!
www.grow-your-own-vegetable-garden.com

RE: pumpkins picked too early 4 years 1 month ago #266925

• FeyWind
  • Sapling
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks vegdownunder, unfortunately the time when there was a bit of both only ended up with one female being pollinated. Nuts! :p
  • Page:

Active Groups

Upcoming Events

pcp_button

GrowVegAffiliateAdvert120x60