Welcome,Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What are Some good veggies to grow through winter?

What are Some good veggies to grow through winter? 2 years 2 weeks ago #341322

• Melrose
  • Tender shoot
I'm living in a house and we have 5 vegetable garden beds that are empty and full of weeds. One of these beds is fully shaded so I probably won't be planting anything in there unless anyone knows of a veg that likes full shade in winter.
the other 4 beds are in a good position they get quite a bit of sun. We do get frosts so if there are any veggies that would be able to live through some frosts I'd love to know what they are.

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What are Some good veggies to grow through winter? 2 years 2 weeks ago #341323

• Neko-Chan
  • Tender shoot
  • Thank you received: 2
Last year I grew silver beet, red and brown onions (but they didn't actually start forming bulbs until spring), garlic, radishes, leeks, cole crops, parsnips, turnips, swedes, and lettuces (if you have a fairly sheltered spot for lettuce).

Re: What are Some good veggies to grow through winter? 2 years 2 weeks ago #341330

• Bel
  • Old Growth Forest
  • Thank you received: 147
Brassicas love a good frost and taste all the better for it. Think cauliflower, broccoli, Chinese greens like broccoli, pak choi, bok choy, wombok, brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage. Peas are a must for us in winter, as are snow peas. Onions, spring onions, garlic, leeks also grow well in winter. Here where it doesn't get super cold we also grow beetroot, carrots, lettuce, parsnips. Scarlet runner beans and broad beans also are good in winter, as is fennel, celeriac and celery. Stacks to keep you busy!! I'd leave the shady bed for winter as it's unlikely much will grow there.

Re: What are Some good veggies to grow through winter? 2 years 2 weeks ago #341334

This is just what I wanted to know too- thanks! I was worried my little garden was going to be sad over the winter, but that's got me inspired again.

Re: What are Some good veggies to grow through winter? 2 years 2 weeks ago #341360

• jaydatoo
  • Sapling
  • Thank you received: 7
What's shading the 'shaded' bed? Trees? If so you could try trimming the trees to let in more light. I have a bed like that and I get hubby to trim back the trees hard this time of year. I plant Asian greens in there (have just done it this weekend!) and they do well. They only need 2 hours of sun a day.

Re: What are Some good veggies to grow through winter? 2 years 2 weeks ago #341398

• Melrose
  • Tender shoot
It's shaded by huge trees haha, there is no way they could be trimmed back sadly. I actually found it the strangest place to put a bed but there you go haha. I think it my get a small amount of morning sun

What are Some good veggies to grow through winter? 1 year 7 months ago #348742

• goodfood
  • Tender shoot
  • Thank you received: 1
You can grow these following veggies:

1 BROAD BEANS
2 ASPARAGUS
3 PEAS AND PEA SHOOTS
4 GARLIC
5 ONIONS, SPRING ONIONS AND SHALLOTS
6 WINTER LETTUCE
7 LAMBS LETTUCE
8 SPINACH
9 SUGARSNAP PEAS
10 SPRING CABBAGE
  • Page:

Active Groups

Upcoming Events

pcp_button

GrowVegAffiliateAdvert120x60